We are looking for a Human Resources Manager to support our five cafes and baking facility, all located in Rhode Island. The HR Director will recruit, support and develop talent through developing policies and managing procedures and contribute to making the company a great place to work. The HR Director will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day HR tasks including but not limited to tasks related to recruitment and hiring, employee relations, training and development, payroll, compensation, benefits, and compliance with all applicable employment Federal, State and Local laws and regulations regarding employment practices. The HR Manager will provide on-site support including leading investigations, employee related issues and answering day to day questions from managers and employees. If you are innovative and able to drive change, engage, and influence the business to implement new ideas/programs, this is the opportunity for you!
To be successful in this role, you should have prior demonstrated experience in a HR position, preferably in the hospitality industry, and be familiar with labor legislation, benefits administration and performance management. The HR Manager maintains a positive overall workplace culture and ensures our employees are engaged, well-trained and productive so that they provide excellent customer service to our customers and continue to create outstanding products.
Experience: Three to five years of leadership experience in HR, preferably in the hospitality industry. Hands on experience with recruiting and retention. Familiarity with ATS, Payroll Software and job posting databases. Collective bargaining and union relations are a plus.
Education: Degree in Human Resources, Hospitality Management, or Business Administration or experience in a related field preferred. Will consider overall experience.
Qualifications: Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication and time management skills. Possesses superior interpersonal skills, strong sense of ethics, good common sense and keen judgment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements HR strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy
- Creates learning and development programs and initiatives that provide internal development opportunities for employees
- Provides employee relations services to employees in the form of facilitating open communication, resolving issues, and coaching
- Oversees employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations
- Bridges management and employee relations by addressing demands, grievances or other issues
- Provides HR support to managers including coaching and guidance on associate relations issues, policy interpretation, performance management, problem solving, worker compensation and leave of absence administration
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Promotes open roles using online job posting boards and other methods of recruitment
- Screens, interviews and evaluates candidates
- Prepares job offers and on-boarding documents
- Plans attractive compensation and benefits packages to increase retention
- Manages payroll and keep updated records of payments
- Administers employee benefits including 401(k) retirement plan, medical/dental/vision and voluntary benefit offerings
- Facilitate new hire orientations
- Schedules and monitors job-related training for all employees, including managers
- Ensures staff complies with health and safety regulations
- Oversees and manages a performance appraisal system
- Maintains compensation plan, updating as necessary
- Supports management through enforcement of progressive discipline policy
- Maintain employee HR files according to company and compliance guidelines
- Reviews, evaluates and negotiates benefit package proposals
- Coordinates employee involvement activities, plans employee appreciation events and coordinates volunteer events
- Drive a positive company culture that creates a memorable employee experience
Do you dream of bread? Then join a great team of dedicated bakers at Seven Stars Bakery!
The Baking Supervisor is responsible for supervising and maintaining the quality of all of our artisan bread and viennoiserie for our wholesale and retail locations. The ideal candidate must have a positive attitude and enthusiastic personality as well as a demonstrated ability to work cohesively with staff and with other managers and supervisors. This position is responsible for providing direction, training, and development of employees and to uphold our company standards.
The Baking Supervisor is a position that requires the ability to motivate and lead a team, strong time management, organizational as well as a good understanding of baking methods and scoring techniques are required. The position oversees the pm bread and pastry baking. The Supervisor is responsible for monitoring quality control and consistency of our products. This position reports to the Production Manager.
- Experience in a supervisory or leadership role, required
- Previous baking experience, preferred
- Ability to lead and motivate a team
- Basic math skills. Must be able to add, multiply, count and verify numbers
- Organized and detail oriented
- Team player and leader
- Ability to train and coach new employees on SSB standards
- Ability to learn how to bake in a hearth oven and proofing of viennoiserie products
- Ability to remain focused under pressure
- Able to read and understand English
- The ability to stand 8-10 hours per shift
- The ability to push/pull bread and pastry racks up to 75lbs, with or without assistance
- The ability to work at a fast pace
- Excellent Time management skills
- Bilingual preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision and support to the baking team, float team, packing team and dishwashers
- Oversees the dividing, shaping, proofing and baking of our artisan breads and viennoiserie
- Oversee that all the equipment in the Production Bakery is clean and in proper working condition, report any issues so that they are taken care of in a timely fashion
- Maintain and ensure all areas of the bakery, work area and equipment are organized and clean at the end of the shift; ensure all protocols are followed per Serv Safe and that local BOH sanitary standards are met
- Examine and inspect all items to ensure that quality specifications are upheld
- Ensure product is ready and packed for scheduled delivery times
- Ensure all finished products are counted and packed in a neat and organized way
- Help bakery team maintain operational lines
- Notifies production teammates immediately when any sub-standard product quality is encountered
- Mix and maintain our natural levain and poolish
- Perform Sanitation duties after shut-down
- Must be able to complete assigned tasks delegated by the Bakery Manager
- Ensure a sense of urgency from all bakery team members and dishwashers at all times
This is an non-exempt hourly position. Pay rate starts at $18/hr. paid bi-weekly.
As a Keyholder at Seven Stars Bakery you set the example for other employees. You are responsible for overall day-to-day operations when a manager or assistant manager are not present. This includes opening or closing duties, managing staff breaks, assigning side work, count and balance cash drawers, uphold the Seven Stars Bakery customer service standards at all times.
You are expected to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and quality standards, as well as an exceptionally neat and clean environment. The keyholder sets the example for other employees by taking the initiative to provide exceptional customer service and ensure that all employees are upholding the Seven Stars standards in the absence of the assistant manager or cafe manager.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Open or close cafes without the assistance of a manager
- Maintain the flow of the line, lead by example by demonstrating a sense of urgency
- Assign break tasks, run breaks and assist with the management of shift change
- Lead training of staff according to the Seven Stars Service Standards
- Maintain a positive attitude during your shifts
- Handle customer complaints and interject to diffuse situations
- Initiate side projects during down times including but not limited to: daily cleaning list, stocking line items. Make sure that all staff is assisting and no one is standing idle
- Uphold and maintain high standards of Seven Stars Bakery including; customer service coffee brewing standards, product quality, and store cleanliness
- Counting cash drawers and safe balancing
This position pays $17-20/hr. through a combination of a hourly wage and tips.
Why is Seven Stars Bakery a great place to work?
At Seven Stars Bakery, we are all about quality – exceptional quality of our hand-crafted breads and pastries (and sandwiches, salads and coffees!) and unsurpassed quality of the customer service we deliver every day. Seven Stars Bakery is more than a bakery cafe – we are a community!
When customers come through our doors, they get an instant “Ahhh!” feeling. Yes, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and flaky croissants helps! But so does the Seven Stars vibe – welcoming, comfortable and vibrant. So – if you want to be a part of creating people’s “happy place” every day – joining our cafe team may be for you!!
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be able to work at least three (3) shifts per week including both weekend days. In addition, you must be able to answer YES to the following:
- Do you genuinely care about other people?
- Do you enjoy working closely with other talented, dedicated people?
- Do you hold yourself to high standards?
- Are you a strong communicator with excellent people skills?
- Do you thrive in an active, quick-paced environment?
- Do you have a can-do attitude and exceptional attention to detail?
- Are you responsible and dependable? Being on time – or early – every day is REQUIRED!
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Greet and welcome each customer
- Provide exceptional customer service using the Seven Stars Bakery Customer Service Standards
- Help our customers make their bread, pastry and coffee choices
- Brew coffee, prepare beverages for the barista and serve hot & iced drinks
- Maintain a clean cafe; including wiping tables, washing dishes and taking out the trash
- Accept cash/credit/gift card payments
- Pack online orders
- Deliver curbside orders to our customers
This position pays $15-20/hr. We guarantee that you will make at least $15/hr (through a combination of a $9.00/hr hourly wage and tips). If there is a tip shortfall we will make up the difference!